Change

She asked if my life had forever been changed.
I said, “no” as I thought in my mind,
That lives are very hard things to change,
And forever’s a very long time.


Could something as simple as singing a song,
Or speaking some memorized lines,
Change lives as simply as changing a scene?
Give change to a life such as mine?


OK, I agreed the next day, that it may be
That some small change has occurred,
As I now count new friends never counted before,
But forever’s a very big word.


That night as I lie in my bed and the light
Of the moon danced around on the floor,
The words of the play danced around in my head,
And I recognized one small change more.


The words I had learned and recited so often,
Intended to soften some heart,
Those words were now mine every wonderful line,
In my life, now a permanent part.


So I stand on the stage and look out at the people,
Who took of their time to attend.
And I wonder if they will engage in the play,
And the message we’re trying to send.


And I hope and I pray that they won’t go away
Without taking something along,
Some life changing thought from a part of the plot,
Or a line from a soul-searching song.


Then I stop and explore my own soul and I see,
That indeed it is me who has grown.
For new friends and new words and new vision I’ve gained,
Yes, the life foremost changed was my own.


(November 11, 2005, Idaho Falls, Idaho)

--------------------------


In 2005, I had the opportunity to perform in a musical production about the life of Joseph Smith. The night before our first performance the words to this poem spilled into my consciousness.

posted December 30, 2008

--------------------------

DALL·E image prompt: Artistic image depicting a stage with actors dressed as Joseph Smith a few other people in 19th century clothing